Creativity is an amazing thing, and we all have it in some form inside us. The web has opened up a new visual world which is good, but has led people to think "I could do that!"
I teach/tutor design in addition to my design business. Lately I have had inquiries; "Can you teach me how to be a graphic designer"? If you read my blog you see this is a topic I've addressed several times. Some responses include:
- Having the software does not make you a designer any more than my owning a guitar makes me an Eric Clapton
- Everything you see online is not good design
- Good design takes time, talent and training-no exceptions! That 30 minute logo looks like a 30 minute logo and many have been verified as stolen work from legitimate designers
- Type matters, free fonts may be workable, many/most are not, but unless you have studied typography you won't know which are ok, which are not and why
- Color matters too, know something about color theory in advertising or get a designer who does
- ANYBODY can post a blog or create a website about creativity and design, don't believe everything you see or read
Enjoy the visual creativity, color, words and sounds heard online. Appreciate that for the "good stuff" someone worked hard to create it!